Leadership commitment to step up collaboration at Singapore – Jordan Business Roundtable
- Organised in conjunction with the state visit of His Majesty Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein, King of Jordan and accompanying high-level government and business delegation.
- Six MoUs signed to promote business collaboration between Singapore and Jordanian companies.
- Identified areas for mutual cooperation and harmonisation of standards in energy, water management, urban solutions, halal-food-regulation certification, and to be the respective regional hubs for trade.
Jointly organised by the Singapore Business Federation (SBF), Enterprise Singapore and the Jordan Embassy in Singapore, the Roundtable was attended by 24 established Singapore companies from various sectors that included agribusiness, info-communications technology, infrastructure, manufacturing, shipping and logistics, hospitality and general trading.
Held in conjunction with the state visit of His Majesty Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein, King of Jordan and an accompanying 26-strong, high-level government and business delegation, this Roundtable included key representatives from leading Jordanian companies such as Al-Behar Group, Al Qawafel, Arab Potash Company, ArabiaWeather, Armada Group and Bloom Dead Sea Gift Enterprise.
After a welcome address delivered by H.E. Chan Chun Sing, H.E. Dr Tareq Al-Hamouri gave a brief on trade and investment opportunities in Jordan, while H.E. Mothanna Gharaibeh, Jordan’s Minister of Digital Economy & Entrepreneurship, focused on info-communications technology.
It was announced in the presence of H.E. Chan Chun Sing, H.E. Dr Tareq Al-Hamouri, and H.E. Mothanna Gharaibeh that the following six memoranda-of-understanding (MoUs) had been signed:
- MoU on Business Collaboration between Singapore Manufacturing Federation and Jordan Chamber of Commerce
- MoU on Business Collaboration between Singapore Manufacturing Federation and Jordan Chamber of Industry
- MoU on Business Collaboration between Intaj and Global Science & Technology Forum
- MoU on Business Collaboration between Bloom Dead Sea Gift Enterprise and Avocado Global
- MoU on Business Collaboration between ArabiaWeather and TerraWeather
- MoU on Business Collaboration between Falcons Soft and Edufied
Singapore and Jordanian companies in the education sector agreed to engage institutes of higher learning to increase the frequency of student exchanges, so as to foster closer friendship and cultural ties among the next generation of Singapore and Jordanian business leaders.
SBF Chairman, Mr S.S. Teo, said, “Through sessions such as today’s Roundtable, companies get a better appreciation of the business landscape, for example, with regard to government policies, economic and urban development plans, and investment opportunities, particularly in high-growth sectors.
"Confidence is further enhanced if businesses can witness political commitment to a market economy and the certainty offered by the rule of law.
Today’s Business Roundtable, organised in conjunction with His Majesty King Abdullah II’s state visit, is a clear sign of commitment from both governments, and I look forward to robust business engagement between the two countries.”
Please refer to Annex A for the list of participating companies.