SBF leads business mission to 14th CAEXPO to promote Singapore as a liveable and sustainable city for connectivity13 Sep 17 - The 14th CAEXPO marked a significant milestone for China-ASEAN relations in bilateral cooperation, with the spotlight on Guangxi as a key regional gateway between China and ASEAN connecting the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st century Maritime Silk Road.
- The Singapore Day Seminar highlights Singapore as a connector in partnering Chinese enterprises to navigate ASEAN and international markets
- Sixty-two companies and eight trade associations to showcase Singapore’s expertise and services
SBF was re-appointed by Singapore’s Ministry of Trade and Industry to organise the country’s participation at this year’s CAEXPO, which runs from 12 to 15 September 2017. Dr Koh Poh Koon, Senior Minister of State for National Development & Trade and Industry will tour the Singapore pavilions at CAEXPO as well as attend the Singapore-Guangxi Networking Dinner.
Themed Jointly Build the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, Promote Regional Economic Integration through Tourism, the 14th CAEXPO marks a significant milestone for China-ASEAN relations through the establishment of China-ASEAN Year of Tourism Cooperation.
China has been ASEAN’s largest trading partner for eight consecutive years, while ASEAN is China’s third-largest biggest partner. Between January and May this year, trade volume reached US$195.7 billion, which is a year-on-year increase of 16.2%.1
SBF Chairman and mission leader Mr SS Teo said, “With the forging of a Southern Transport Corridor, Guangxi will be a key regional gateway between China and ASEAN. Besides promoting bilateral cooperation, its close proximity to ASEAN countries will enable it to become an important hub connecting the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, thereby promoting deeper bilateral cooperation. Through CAEXPO and the Qinzhou Business Mission, we hope to enhance the business community’s understanding and increase their participation in the Belt and Road Initiative.”
At CAEXPO, SBF will set up the Singapore National Pavilion themed Singapore – A Liveable and Sustainable City for Connectivity. Featuring 29 Singapore companies, the pavilion showcases Singapore’s expertise in hospitality and tourism, info-communication technology, infrastructure, professional services and transportation, as well as the three Singapore-China government-to-government projects.
The Commercial Pavilion will feature 33 companies and eight trade associations and chambers, including Singapore brands and services which focus on areas including tourism and related services, design and fashion, F&B, consumer goods, legal and financial services, which will serve to enhance Singapore’s image as a modern and liveable city which appeals to both Chinese and ASEAN investors.
Among the initiatives and products featured include:
- Tasty Singapore, a Singapore food industry brand that promotes the best of Singapore food and manufacturers to overseas markets. It is backed by International Enterprise (IE) Singapore in collaboration with the Restaurant Association of Singapore, Singapore Food Manufacturers Association and the Singapore Manufacturing (SMF), and supported by SPRING Singapore.Tasty Singapore has become a world-recognised quality mark that stands for diversity, dynamism, innovativeness, quality and safety for consumers, chefs and industry professionals worldwide. The 14th CAEXPO offers Tasty Singapore Ambassador brands an ideal platform to source for business leads, facilitate product exports and market Singapore products in China, ASEAN and the region.
- Working in Partnership (WIP) programme, a collaboration between IE Singapore and the Singapore Manufacturing Federation to bring Singapore products to the shelves of overseas supermarkets. By bringing together Singapore food manufacturers, WIP allows for collective Singapore branding, helps drive sales and offers fast-track entry into markets.
- AccessReal, a highly secure, comprehensive anti-counterfeit, track-and-trace tool developed by i-Sprint Innovations Pte Ltd, a global premier identity,credential and access management solutions provider headquartered in Singapore. Armed with bank-grade data protection technologies, AccessReal provides a unique ID code, such as barcodes or QR codes, to each product as an anti-counterfeit and tracking label. For consumers, it offers product information, tracking and verification of authenticity. For businesses, it helps monitor product distribution and collects data to benefit the industry value chain.
The Seminar will provide insights into Singapore’s strengths in project management, arbitration, legal, finance and tourism, as well as promote Singapore as an important hub for the 21st century Maritime Silk Road and an essential gateway to ASEAN and the regional markets.
Co-sponsored by China and the 10 ASEAN member states, CAEXPO has been held for 13 consecutive years since 2004. It serves as an international economic and trade event to promote economic cooperation between ASEAN and China through activities such as investment promotion seminars and trade exhibitions.
1 Source: Borneo Bulletin: Asean's China, US relations put under spotlight